Friday, September 26, 2008

Things and People

I've been in awe of how beautiful things are here. I'm sure you're aware of that - it's kind of been a theme. I spent part of the day today sitting in the garden in front of the Louvre and walking along the Seine. Not a bad way to spend a Friday afternoon. I've been thinking a lot about how pretty it is here and how much the French seem to value beauty. It's not something I can relate to very well. I usually don't take the time to really enjoy what I'm looking at back home. I don't think a lot of us do. But it's not just taking the time - it's also the value placed on the appearance of things. Back home, we tend to want things that are convenient and efficient. We build wide, ugly roads so that more cars can fit. We build massive, hideous buildings because it's cheaper and quicker than making them look pretty. We just seem to value different things. I don't know if one way is better than the other; I can just see that there are other ways of doing things. At the very least, I'll never be able to look at Wal-Mart quite the same way.


Here's where I spent my day:


As you can see, I discovered the black and white setting on my camera. The building is the Musee d'Orsay.

Anyway, as I was sitting in the midst of all of this, I was processing why I was so enthralled with what I saw - and why it really mattered. The truth is, while I've been fascinated by the extreme beauty I've seen, I've been wondering about the whole story. What does all of this mean? Where is God in any of this?

The reality, of course, is that it's all His creation, whether or not anyone is willing to recognize and accept that. Regardless of what is believed, He is still always present. Maybe this is His way of reaching out to those who live here. I don't know.

But for a few moments this afternoon, I believe I had a glimpse into God's perspective. The beauty of the things around us isn't what matters. The difference between here and home is where we place our value. As beautiful as things are, I don't want to spend my life focusing on things. I want to value people. It seems obvious but that's the piece that I've been missing. I never realize how closed my eyes really are until God opens them. It was as if He was telling me that while He wants us to appreciate and value the things that He's created, He really wants us to focus on the people that He's created. It's amazing how simple that sounds, and it's a little embarrassing that it took a trip across the ocean for me to get it. But, I guess sometimes we need to get out of our comfort zones in order to see things in a different way. To me, that's the real difference between cultures with God and cultures without God. I'd much rather see the value and beauty in a friend than in a river or a garden. I'd rather discuss faith than art. I'd rather spend my time in an ugly restaurant having a real conversation with someone I love than spend my time in a pretty little park discussing only superficial things. Yes, this trip has certainly changed me. My perspective has shifted. My prayer is that I'll never forget these lessons and that I'll make them a priority. If that's all I can take home with me, then this trip will have been more than worth it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Can't wait until we get a chance to sit down and talk about your trip!

Call us from Houston!

Love you,
Mom